Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Funeral...

it takes time to think deep. i believe you can't do it quickly and go away with any knowledge or meaning. sure there are the lessons we learn each day, but those are just micro thoughts that feel like lego's being put into the right places. (i like using lego's as a metaphor...)

today after church i spent time with my grandma. we talked over a good lunch and enjoyed each others company. she is gettin' really old and more sicker each day. her strength is always tested and her will put on the line. still, she get's up each day and does something with her time, weather it's studying her bible, or catching up with friends and family on the phone. she is what i like to call a hero. she is also my best adult friend. i can talk to her about anything and she treats me like an adult and doesn't judge me. if i ever want advice she let's me ask first which i'm always glad to do. i try to spend as much time with her as i can, but i come up short with my other family members, especially my mother and other grandma. i'm not the best son and grandson in the world, so i know my place when it comes to being there for my family.

family matters are and will always be one of the biggest issues with people on this planet. it doesn't matter where or when, we all have them and they take a lot out of us. i still can't believe sometimes that i'm still here and alive. yeah, that's not really the best way to think, but i can't help it. i often wonder when i will leave this world and be buried six feet under. maybe that's why i posted such a title, or maybe it has something to do with the music.

october 16th is right around the corner and with that comes the movie Where the Wild Things Are. i have a lot of hope that this movie will bring back the humbleness and goodness that movies use to have. i'm basing this on just seeing a few sporadic clips and the amazing trailers. if anyone noticed (i'm sure you did) the music in the trailers then you are at the right place right now. the music is played by a very talented band from canada called The Arcade Fire.



with good music and good choice pics, anyone can make a movie look like gold and Spike Jonze has done just that with the wild things trailers. i highly suggest you check them out for yourself just to see what i'm talking about.

anyway, the music from this band reached across the planet and touched millions. with only two releases under their belts, the arcade fire made the home run swing that made people believe in music again. this is pure emotion and talent bleeding through the speakers. as i type this i'm listening to them once again. funny, but with all good music that i love i often wish that i could erase my memories of it just so that i could hear it again for the first time. i know i'm not alone with that sort of thought. that's how powerful this music is.

okay, so you have read my words and think you might give it a shot and see what all the fuss is about. that's good, but just know that this is really simplistic music. it's not like hearing U2 or something huge like that. no, it's just rock that is made by people who love it and know their own limits. so with that i want you all to give this band a listen if you haven't already and be sure to hear the song "wake up". it's my favorite and you will understand when i say "oh my gosh, this is amazing!!!" i dare you to listen to that song and not choke up. this is why the trailer for wild things is so amazing. just read the lyrics below and then think back to that little book and remember your childhood. was it good or was it bad??? it's okay to remember the good things because they are what matter the most.

this is their debut album Funeral.
Somethin' filled up
my heart with nothin',
someone told me not to cry.

But now that I'm older,
my heart's colder,
and I can see that it's a lie.

Children wake up,
hold your mistake up,
before they turn the summer into dust.

If the children don't grow up,
our bodies get bigger but our hearts get torn up.
We're just a million little gods causin' rain storms turnin' every good thing to
rust.

I guess we'll just have to adjust.

With my lightnin' bolts a glowin'
I can see where I am goin' to be
when the reaper he reaches and touches my hand.

With my lightnin' bolts a glowin'
I can see where I am goin’
With my lightnin' bolts a glowin'
I can see where I am, go-go, where I am

You'd better look out below

No comments:

Post a Comment