Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Paper Tigers...

well i now have enough money to purchase Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2!!! so yeah, i'm totally stoked like all get out. i'm gonna go to the midnight launch at my local wall-mart and get that sucker early. the following tuesday i'm not going to sub or do anything but play that game. first i'll go through the campaign, then i'll hit up the multiplayer for a bit just to get the feel of it, then it's back to the campaign and then back to the multiplayer for the brutal assault on the senses and mind!!! oh yeah, this is gonna be zoppity!!!

i think my little bug has left. i don't feel as bad as i did last night and the day before. actually i feel quite good for once. last night i had a good talk with a close friend of mine and it reminded me of so much stuff that had happened in my life over the past four years. some were sad and some were great. it's the great one's that i remembered the most. it was fun to reminisce about old times and then tell each other goofy jokes. it's like we never missed a day with each other. hmm... these times are really confusing. so much stuff to think about and do. it's all pretty thick i guess. life is pretty thick...

well now, it looks like i'm finally going to post an artist that i have mentioned before, but have not thought about for a while until now. this singer-songwriter mad quite the impression on me when i was younger and just getting into music on my own. but, it wasn't until my first year of art school when my old friend frank introduced me to this man's most personal album. the album in question is called Sea Change and the artist is simply known as Beck.



you see, it was late one night when frank asked me if i could take him into town to grab something to eat. i was hungry as well, so i was all like "cool man". heh heh so we left and frank told me he brought some tunes for us to jam. well i had just gotten done watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for the first time, so my head and heart were a bit light at the moment. frank puts in the cd and as soon as i heard the vocals kick in i asked "who the heck is this???" he laughed and said, "dude, it's beck!!!"

it was after this that i asked him for a copy of the cd. i jammed that thing for probably a month straight. now, like when i listened to Nick Drake all the time i have to declare that this much melancholy music sometimes can't be good for you. and let me tell ya, this was such sad sorrowful music, but also beautiful in it's simplicity and arrangement that it took the cake. after a while, i stopped listening to the album and put it away for quite some time. it wasn't until my fourth and last year that i got it back out and listened to it once again. oh man, how it helped, but also hurt. i never in my wildest mind could have pictured that skinny stoner singer named beck singing his heart out over love and loss. he felt the same way i did during the aftermath of a bad breakup. this was something otherworldly. and i guess i was the only one who felt this way at the time. at least i think i was...

there isn't much else for me to say at the moment. despite this man's personal life, his music speaks louder than anything else he does. these three albums i'm posting are shining moments in my life and i hope you all will take the time to listen to them. here are my faves: Mellow Gold, Odelay!, and the wonderful and tragic Sea Change.


http://www.mediafire.com/?mxmfzyryqwt


http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HMQMAADY


http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ww6lsnky

Put your hands on the wheel
Let the golden age begin
Let the window down
Feel the moonlight on your skin
Let the desert wind
Cool your aching head
Let the weight of the world
Drift away instead

These days I barely get by
I don't even try

It's a treacherous road
With a desolated view
There's distant lights
But here they're far and few
And the sun don't shine
Even when its day
You gotta drive all night
Just to feel like you're ok

These days I barely get by
I don't even try

2 comments:

  1. i totally know the feeling of talking with friends and how they can bring fresh new views. even spark strong emotions about things, places, people, etc. :)

    aaaaand beck is awesome. reminds me of the druggy ravers from the Verde Valley. i never was one, but i did like their colorful outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha colorful is right!!! i use to love tiedye shirts when i was a kid!!!

    ReplyDelete