Thursday, December 16, 2010

Hit the nail on the head...

*this post was written yesterday, but not published till today since the computer at my house is sick with viruses...*

i’m enjoying the sudden coldness that’s sweeping across oklahoma. the chilly air feels nice against my lungs and through my nose. sleeping in a cold bed, only to become warm by your own body heat is one of my favorite things. if i had to choose a permanent weather, i’d choose this kind. i say this mostly because i love wearing long sleeve shirts and sweaters. also, my jackets look friggin’ awesome yo!!!

well, i guess the tone for this post is different than the last one as you may have noticed. if not, they you don’t pay enough attention!!! anyway, i’d like to share a bit of my past with you. there was this one time when i almost died. i must have been about eleven or twelve when it happened. i was living in these crummy apartments with my dad back then, and for fun, i’d rollerblade all over the place. (i was a big Mighty Ducks fan…) well, on this particular day i was getting close to the edge of the parking lot, which ended near this sort of half pipe ditch. on the other side was a local middleclass suburban neighborhood, closed in by an old wooden fence. i wanted to skate the ditch walls, so i attempted by stepping in. instantly my feet rolled out from under me and i fell flat on my face. my large head (without a helmet…) slammed onto a wooden board that fell from the fence. it all hurt and sucked badly, but what caught my attention was the large nail sticking out from the board. my head was nearly half a foot away from landing on it.

i wasn’t one for thinking of death a lot back then, but this matter changed my life. i took close notice and my thoughts began to sketch out different situations on which i could die. i must have sat there for over 30 minutes, just staring at the board and then around the location. everything in my life at that moment seemed pointless. i lost what was left of my carefree innocence, and from then on i subject everything to my own personal motion. and what that means is, nothing can be simple anymore. it has become complicated and i make it that way. there is now a creeping feeling of something bad happening. i’ve had this issue ever since…

it’s weird though. i’ve been in cars wrecks and tornados, but this one little incident set the course for the things to come. ugh, maybe i’m just exaggerating, or better yet, writing this for attention and i just don’t know it, but regardless, it feels good to mention this little tid bit of my life. maybe its all for future reference when aliens take over and they need to know some of our human history. yeah!!! they’ll read my blog and discover a human who has some serious issues and who also really REALLY likes music. maybe then they will appreciate the Deftones, Joy Division, American Football, My Bloody Valentine and Nick Drake as much as me…

gliding through the archives of music out there, occasionally i’ll stumble upon something new that instantly makes me love it. new music is often harder for me to like than the old, so this was an exception that took strong presence over the past few months. this new music i speak of goes by the name, Teengirl Fantasy.


this is an electronic duo that consists of dudes named, nick weiss and logan takahashi. they currently go to college in ohio, but have taken time off to tour and make their music. they have blown up over the past year in blogs and independent music sites like pitchfork and stereogum. what they make is nothing new for the electronic genre, but it sure is a breath of fresh air. the duo mix and sample old school soul with trance like flourishes. it all meshes together quite nicely and makes for interesting and relaxing moments. they recently released their debut album, 7AM and it has made me a huge fan. songs like, “cheater’s” “four to floor” and “vibes” showcase young talent that is almost ready to take over. it’s a good example of the so called, “laptop” music that seems real easy to make nowadays. if you like such artists as, Gold Panda, James Blake, Matthew Dear, Toro Y Moi and old school electronica nobles, The Chemical Brothers, Orbital, The Future Sound of London and The Crystal Method, then you will be at home here with teengirl fantasy.

so, now that you know it, why don't you try it??? right here you will find some of their self released demos and then their debut full length, 7AM. dig it...

No comments:

Post a Comment