Saturday, October 2, 2010

Panic Attack...

well, as things have turned out, i don't really feel like going to the powwow this weekend. something has come up and in return, it's made me feel a bit insecure towards going. i'm not too sure what it is exactly, but i think i'll listen to my gut and stay home. besides, i want to watch the OU football game with my family. heck, i might even go to the movies later!!! that new flick called, The Social Network seem really interesting.

ahh, i see it's time for another installment of indie rock 101. this time we get acquainted with a very inspirational band called, Guided by Voices.



you see, there was a time when alternative music was really REALLY good, and not the glossy, overproduced trash we regularly see everyday. college radio stations and independent music magazines were the leaders in pushing this counter music to the young people and with that came all sorts of artists. bands like, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., My Bloody Valentine, R.E.M., Black Flag, Husker Dü and Pavement were just some of the many that came about during this time. in some places, independent music is still considered sacred and well put, so let's not count all of it out.

one of the acts to emerge during this time and quickly gain a hardcore following was guided by voices. the band was from dayton, ohio and started back in 1983. they lasted until 2004 before breaking up and several years passed until they resumed with their classic lineup this year. they are currently doing small tours and helping in the celebration of matador records 21st anniversary, whom they released many records from.

the band is an easy one, mostly consisting of wonderful lo-fi pop songs and nothing more. they weren't a metal band, nor a punk band. they were just a band that made honest and simple songs which, in turn, inspired countless others to go out and create. they are still here and still doing their thing. this is good...

as for their music, here's two albums that i lover dearly. the first is the essential, Bee Thousand. this album goes right up their with other classics like, OK Computer, Loveless, Daydream Nation and Document. and last is the album, Alien Lanes. grab these now and sit back and listen to something so happy-go-lucky, yet profound and highly enjoyable. dig it...


http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YH1L77MS


http://www.mediafire.com/?jpvogznmypt#1



i am a scientist - i seek to understand me
all of my impurities and evils yet unknown
i am a journalist - i write to you to show you
i am an incurable
and nothing else behaves like me

and i know what's right
but i'm losing sight
of the clues for which i search and choose
to abuse
to just unlock my mind
yeah, and just unlock my mind

i am a pharmacist
prescriptions i will fill you
potions, pills and medicines
to ease your painful lives
i am a lost soul
i shoot myself with rock & roll
the hole i dig is bottomless

but nothing else can set me free

and i know what's right
but i'm losing sight
of the clues for which i search and choose
to abuse
to just unlock my mind
yeah, and just unlock my mind

i am a scientist - i seek to understand me
i am an incurable and nothing else behaves like me

everything is right
everything works out right
everything fades from sight
because that's alright with me

it's alright with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment