Monday, October 4, 2010

Pressing Matters...

time is of the essence tonight because, by golly, I NEED REST!!! i also want to add that Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives is currently playing, and for some strange reason, i love that friggin' show. i don't know why i love it so, but for some reason, some really strange BIG reason, i just doooooooooooo... (maybe it's because people are doing what they love???)

you know, i love my writing. i'm not saying that in a proud and boastful way, no. what i mean is, i love my writing because it's me talking. i'm trying to get down to the nitty gritty, and it seldom leads to places i don't know the ending to. it must be my own personal therapy. it does help, no doubt about that. still, it's my outlet and it love to use it. the things i see and do are an everyday experience, and sometimes i just gotta write it down. now, i do know that a lot of the times on this blog, i write from a pretty depressing point of view. my excuse for that is just the timing. it's how i felt at that moment. tonight, right now, i feel full and exercised. i'm ready to call it in and get some shut eye, but not before i write something down. that's really all there is tonight. to cap it off, i'm going to be doing something here for the very first time...

and that first time thing is write a music post for an artist that kindly asked me. i have been wondering if this would happen, but i never wanted to kid myself. delusions of grander have led me to terrible places. BUT, such is not the case tonight folks!!! the artist in question goes by his full name of, Kyle Bobby Dunn.



this young musical artist (who could be ian curtis's twin) calls brooklyn, new york his current home and, as it seems, is creating something very profound while submerged by that concrete jungle. to describe his music, i'm going to have to take a trip.

i awake in a barren field, surrounded by large mountains in the distance and rushing water to my right. the clouds slowly pass by without a glance and my arms are soft as they lay beside me on the smooth green grass. i rise up and walk towards the north, not knowing if that actually is the north. the sky changes color, from blue to violet, to green, to red, to orange, to black. i am overtaken by the vast empty space that is now creeping up my body like a sticky shadow. there is no more ground, no more mountains, no more sky, no more nothing. complete darkness with a cold that's colder that cold. i close my eyes to the blank space and await for something to happen. i slowly peel the lids back and see that everything has changed once again. i am now surrounded by a sea of people. they move briskly, not stopping to see me naked. i am naked. the ground is scratchy on my feet and the cars rush wind on my chest. i float along like pollen being carried by the season. the people have no expression, no desires. it's completely normal to me. normal because i am the same way...

ambient music and minimalism go hand in hand. there is something about the simplicity, yet utter relentless focus on the textures that makes one contemplate many things in general. the compositions and loops that reverberate and come back to are what make ambient music so appealing to me. this isn't to say that this type of music is dumbed down, or easy to create. no, because on the other hand, it's simply a matter of knowing how and when to make your move. kyle bobby dunn is surprisingly good. really REALLY good. there is a ton of weight being carried here in the pieces that he has created.

while getting the scoop on this guy, i checked around and found some big named artists he is compared to. i won't go so far as to name drop here, because it isn't really what the focus is. the focus is on the music, and despite my limited range of critique and experience, i believe this to be something very special. this is great headphone music. this is great study music. this is great ignoring music. this is just great music, plain and simple. i really wish i could go further with this, but i'm stopping here. it all boils down to a simple matter of trusting me, and letting your curiosities relish a bit.

now, as for my usual music wrap up, i'm changing that for tonight as well. kyle bobby dunn asked me to not post a download, so i'm going to honor that. instead, here is what he gave me to review, and that was enough to quickly make me a fan. it's a double album called, A Young Person's Guide To Kyle Bobby Dunn. it's being sold through an independent label called, low point releases, and if you are interested, check it out. supporting the artists through such means is an important endeavor, and i still try when i can.


http://www.low-point.com/LP033.html



do yourself a favor and be curious sometimes...

No comments:

Post a Comment